It's Just a Hershey Bar

I left a Hershey bar in the car on a hot day, and it melted. 
When I picked the package up by its end, I could tell. 
All the magnificent chocolate was oozing to the bottom of the package. 
I was about to toss it out, but in a heartbeat, 
I decided to lay the package out flat in the fridge.
After awhile, I peeked in and opened the package. 
The chocolate had turned back into a Hershey bar!
Except there were no rectangles with the word "Hershey's" inscribed on them. 
Then, the Hershey bar melted again. This time, it was in my mouth. 
And I loved it just as much as I had imagined I could. 
Maybe I loved it even more than a Hershey bar with inscribed rectangles!
Because the Hershey bar and I had nearly mistaken packaging for the real thing. 
We came within a breath of giving up on ourselves and each other. 
But then, in a heartbeat, And just in time . . . 
We didn't.

No comments: