First Snow

by Renee Hawkley

Farmers and ski resort owners pray for it.
Children build snowmen in it.
Moms and dads buy tires for it.
Highway crews shovel it.
Merchants spread salt so people won't fall in it.
Commuters arrive late for work in it.
Nobody ignores it.

And me?
I make snow angels in it.

If you don't know how to make a snow angel, It's easy.
One size fits all.
Great fun at every age.

You need a half-inch blanket of new snow, (More or less).
Get bundled up,
(Or not).
Leave as few footprints as possible
Leading to the place the angel will be,
Then lie down on your back in the snow
And do a couple of sets of jumping jacks.
That's it. Get up, and go to the next spot
To make another one!

If you want to see what they look like,
Please stop by to admire the five beautiful snow angels
Circling the big tree in our front yard . . .
Made this morning after the alarm clock went off
By me, me, me, me and me.

No comments: