"My Favorite Decisions"

by Renee Hawkley

Since turning 60 on June 25th, 2006, I've been trying to graciously accept "little old lady" status. I guess it's not so bad. Just because little old ladies have "been there, done that" doesn't mean we're through being and doing. And even though people may not pay attention to what little old ladies say, they finally stop interrupting.
Let the record reflect that little old ladies don't become little old ladies without making some dumb decisions, but . . . we can talk about that later. I'd like to talk about the decisions I made that opened a lifetime of exciting possibilities. They may not be right for every woman, but they were precisely right for me, and I wouldn't trade them for all the botox in Hollywood. For what it's worth, here are a few of my favorites;

  • to be a "sunbeam" for Jesus (about 1949)

  • to marry Dan Hawkley because I was madly in love with him even though we spent his life savings on an alarm clock the day of our marriage (1966)

  • to prove to my dad that I could finish earning a college degree (1969)

  • to help Dan follow his dreams of becoming an Air Force officer and an attorney (1967-77)

  • to spend a large chunk of my childbearing years wearing double-knit maternity clothes when having a large family was out of fashion (1968-85)

  • to be a stay-at-home mom (1969-98 . . .I wish it had been longer)

  • to stick it out and never give up when things got tough (1990)

  • to stop expecting perfection in myself and others (2001)

  • to be happy anyway (2002)

And . . . (drum roll) . . . my newest-best-tried-and-truest decision;
  • to let God be the boss (2004 and counting).

No comments: