I'm Not the Best Mom

by Renee Hawkley


I'm not the best mom, that's a fact,
I can't always defend how I act;
However, it's true, my kids say, “I love you,”
In spite of the traits I have lacked.

I’m not the best mom, there’s a list
Of skinned knees that I might have kissed;
Yet sometimes life’s dance gives me one more chance
To comfort the hurts I have missed.

I’m not the best mom, there’s no doubt,
I’ve been known by my darlings to shout;
Still, the longer I live, the more they forgive,
I guess that’s what family’s about.

I’m not the best mom, I admit,
Sometimes I am tempted to quit;
But the name like no other I cling to is “Mother,”
My heart strings are anchored to it.

I’m not the best mom, you can see
There are many far better than me;
Even so, I’m aware that none can compare
With the mother I’m trying to be.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: